Planning to buy a Water purifier in India, you must have come across technical terms like RO, UV, UF, TDS etc. While many buy a water purifier suggested by the salesman, it makes sense to understand these terms, so you can buy a suitable water purifier all by yourself (depending on where you get the best deal).
This easy guide explains the meaning of these terms ad what the various type of water purifiers mean. Here’s the meaning and full form of the commonly used terms associated with water purifier technology.
Full Form of RO, UV, UF and TDS:
- RO :- Reverse Osmosis
- UV :- Ultraviolet
- UF :- Ultra Filtration
- TDS :- Total Dissolved Solids
Why you need to understand these terms before buying a Water Purifier?
The water you drink is brought to you directly from lakes and rivers, but several bacteria and germs are present in the water which can harm your body and health. besides, not all homes/areas of the city get similar quality of water. Some area may have more UV in drinking water, while some may have sulfur, chloride and other chemicals.
So, to check the water quality, water purifier companies use TDS machine, which checks bacteria level in your water, and depending on the finding, you are suggested to buy a particular water purifier. So, next time when you buy water purifier machine, do check the TDS level in your home drinking water.
Tip: – If the water you get from River/lake already passes through a purifying plant which removes contamination, then you do not need RO water purifier; you can use simple water purifier (RO-UV and UF are types of water purifiers).
Meanings of RO, UV, UF and TDS
Here are the meanings of each of these terms, which will help you buy the Best Water Purifier for your home.
- RO: RO means Reverse Osmosis. Its the latest in water-purifying technology where dissolved solids and TDS have been removed from water to make it safe for drinking. The normal water is passed through RO membrane. In this process, RO purifier will eliminate hard water and gives you soft water. Around 1 liter of drinkable water is produced from 3 liters of normal water using a RO purifier.
Not all home requires RO purifier (for examples places in Mumbai where BMC supplies water), do check the TDS level before you buy RO purifier.
- UV: UV means Ultraviolet. Ultraviolet water purifiers remove one of the deadliest bacteria. It uses UV radiators to eliminate microorganisms and contaminants. In a UV water purifier, water passes through UV radiation, where water is purified. It is highly recommended to use UV water purifier (after checking the TDS level).
- UF: UF means Ultra Filtration. These water purifiers remove suspended solids, and other dispersed material from normal water. All these bacteria are very harmful to the human body. Ultra Filtration water purifier works without electricity and uses Hollow fiber threaded membrane to purify water.
- TDS = Total Dissolved Solids. This is not a water purifier, but mobile charged ions, including minerals, salts or metals dissolved in water. There are certain dissolved solids, presents in normal water, like calcium, chloride, nitrate, sulfur, iron. Not all of them are harmful though, in fact, some are required (in smaller proportions) for healthy life. So, a water Purifier Company uses TDS as a benchmark to check quality of water.
I guess, this gives you a clearer understanding of the various terms used with water purifiers. Feel free to ask a question below.