While people in western countries have long been make money through their online endeavors, people in India have only recently started realising the benefits of offering their services online. Here’s everything you need to know about setting up your own online fitness business.
Why Go Online?
I have covered this discussion in another post, but to summarize:
- Even though the fitness/wellness market in India is booming, the number of trainers available in the market are also increasing, which means there’s more competition for you.
- Most potential clients opt for inexpensive, do-it-yourself exercise routines, including checking out freely available YouTube videos or phone apps. You will realize that once you get into the market trying to get clients for yourself.
- Working for a gym is not a long term option because of the long working hours. Many do it to gain experience and once they make enough contacts, most trainers go out on their own.
Setting Up your Online Fitness Business
So how do you get started in the online world?
Start With the Niche
The word ‘niche’ is commonly used in the online world. It means identifying a sub-market within a broader market.
So while ‘Exercise’ is a wide niche, ‘Kettle Bell exercise’, ‘Cycling for fitness’ are examples of a narrower niche.
The advantage of focusing on a narrow niche is that its comparatively easier to get traffic to your site.
If you choose a broader niche, you will be competing against well established players (with deeper pockets), and you will struggle to get traffic to your site (or you will have to wait a long time to see traffic to your fitness site).
So selecting the right niche is important (especially if you are new to the online marketing thing).
Also read: Profitable niches for affiliate marketing
Build the Website
You will need to register a domain and build a website, where you can post content.
You can contact us for more information on building fitness related websites.
Build Content for Your Site (Articles/Blog)
You will need lots of informational content on your site, along with good pictures, so that visitors can see you as an expert (authority) on the subject.
In your niche, you will need to find out the various keywords that people are using to find information; you will need to write content around those keywords.
Make videos that demonstrate how to do the various exercise with the correct form. Build a catalog of exercise instruction videos.
What to Sell? (How to Make Money)
Once you setup your website, there are several ways in which you can make money (you will also need lots of write content for that.
Same goes for nutritionists. Have a website around diet and nutrition, and you can sell your ‘expertise’ (consulting or one-to-one advise).
Do your organize cycling tours or adventure tours? Promote your services!
To scale up your project, you will need to set up an e-commerce site. Alternatively, you can start small; just providing your phone number and discuss with the client how they wish to pay.
Once you have decent traffic, apply for Google Adsense and Media.net ads. You can then place several ads on your site. When visitors click on those ads, you make money.
Affiliate marketing is a commission based revenue model where you send your visitors to other sites such as Amazon, Flipkart or any other big site and you make a commission when the visitor buys a product on that site.
Also Read: Top Health and fitness affiliate programs.
Market Your Online Business
Once you have the site, and have a clear idea about what you’re going to offer, you need to promote your online business.
Few ways to do that.
- Write more content, target more keywords
- Promote on social Media (Make a Facebook Page, Post on Instagram, Post on YouTube)
- Go for Paid Ads (most newbies skip this part as they are short on budget, but this can quickly get you traffic)
Also, try to grow your Email list. For most hungry health and fitness markets, you can grow your email list be simply asking people to sign up to get free advice.
Starting an Online Fitness Business: Summary
Starting an online fitness business from scratch is easier than you think, now that you have read so far. Here is a summary of the key steps that we discussed:
- Find a niche market
- Identify your customer’s pain points and how you intend to solve them
- Develop services and products that solve your ideal customer’s problem
- Set up a website to sell your services and products
- Market your website to get more traffic
As your online fitness business grows, you will have more control our your life and have a more flexible schedule, when compared to working full-time face-to-face training.