Standard Anatomical Position is used as reference to determine position of various organs in body.
For humans, the anatomical position has a person standing erect, with feet facing forward, the arms at the sides, palms of the hands facing interior, and fingers pointing straight down.
Here is the meaning of the various terms:
- Anterior & Posterior: Front & Back
- Medial & Lateral: Closer or Away from Midline
- Distal & Proximal: Away or Near to Origin
- Superior & Inferior: Above or Below
- Central & Peripheral: Deep & Superficial
Next we take a look at the Anatomical planes: Saggital, Coronal, Transverse.
- Mid Saggital: Equal Parts (Left & Right)
- Para Saggital: Unequal Parts
- Coronal or Frontal Plane: Anterior & Posterior Halves
- Transverse: Superior & Inferior Parts