If you’re an enthusiastic runner and want to take your passion to the next level (and even make a business put of it), you can start a running or walking club/club. More and more people in India are running than ever before; there are several running events where families, with kids, are participating.
How to Start a Running/Walking Group
Want to start or expand a running/walking club? Here’s what you can do:
- Make a list of people in your community who run or walk regularly. They care about running/walking, so they may be interested in helping start a group that makes it easier/more fun for others to join in. Bring them together to talk.
- Go beyond people you know. Advertise that you’re looking for interested folks. Put up a notice that says a new running/walking group is organizing. Tell where the meeting is.
- Schedule informal run/walks, some “let’s walk or run together” events. This is a good first step to a community group. Put notices in the newspaper and in social media. Get community leaders to join.
- Plan a monthly program, not just a couple of days a year. If there are events every month, people can build a running or walking habit. It provides the support needed.
- Put up a facebook page that lets people know what’s happening, when the next 5K is, the routes and times of daily runs.
Guidelines for Walks
Set-up some simple guidelines for your walk, so everyone is on the same page. Ask your team members:
- Will you walk if it’s raining (or snowing)?
- Do you want to ban cell phones and headphones during walks?
- Do you want to have regular meetings?
- Will members call one another if someone can’t make it, should the group just walk with whoever turns up?
Top Running/Walking Groups in India
Xtreme Sports India
Marathon training and general fitness, Mumbai
Mumbai Road Runners
1 half Marathon, 20 milers a month on first Sunday, 10K/5K on 3rd Sunday. Mumbai
Darjeeling Road Runners
Running for fun and fitness is the mantra, Darjeeling.
Weekly runs around the city, usually in hilly locations. Training programs. Aurangabad
Marathon running, Pune
Baroda Road Runners
Marathons, half marathoners, mini marathoners. Also for beginners. Baroda
Baroda Road Runners
Sunday Run Club
Half and Full Marathons across India. The group provides informal group runs every Saturday and Sunday morning. Delhi
Free club. Run every weekend. Delhi
Weekend and midweek runs and offer guidance to new runners. Delhi
Raramuri Bangalore Runners
They are Native American people of northwestern Mexico who are renowned for their long-distance running ability. Bangalore
Soles of Perintalmanna
Conduct Mini marathon called Perintalmanna Mini Marathon in remembrance of republic day.
Perintalmanna, Malappuram, Kerala
Marathon training and general fitness
Kolkata Running Squad
Long slow runs, Interval training, Elevation runs, Bootcamps, SMR ( Self myofascia release) rolling
Quilon Runners Club
One Half Marathon per month and 10K/5k 4 days in a week.
Soles of Cochin
Run in different areas in Cochin.