While there is no denying the fact that a cancer diagnosis is a life changing event, it is important that you retain some degree of normality in your daily life. Turning over your entire world to cancer will only serve to amplify the fear and anxiety. Therefore, strive to maintain much of your routine activities, celebrations and habits as a means to reassure everyone involved that life goes on, even in the face of something as terrible as a cancer diagnosis.
Great Advice For Coping With a Cancer Diagnosis
Have you just been told that you have been diagnosed with cancer? Well, it can be devastating but its also time to be tough and to get serious about beating cancer. Here’s some practical advice for coping with a cancer diagnosis.
- Get plenty of exercise. You want to keep your body healthy in order to fight the disease.
- Make sure you eat healthy. Much research has gone into eating the right foods to help combat against cancer, and speaking with your doctor about holistic medicine might not be a bad idea either.
- Stay positive as much as possible. You must believe that you can beat the disease in order to have a chance.
- Try to avoid stress as much as you can; this is a time for you to reevaluate everything.
- Be sure that you are following every part of your plan for getting better.
- If you live by yourself, get a pet. Animals are proven to help in the health and wellness department and they are a positive addition to any household.
- Reach out to family. No matter what the condition of your family relations, this is a time to come together.
- Be sure that you think about how you have your own strategy for dealing with cancer as time progresses. Sure you’re sticking to a doctor implemented plan for battle, you want to pick up on those little things that work for you.
- You must stay hydrated, and you want to do this by drinking plenty of water. Be sure that you are also watching your salt and sugar intake. Your sleep is very important as well, as you need to make sure that you’re getting those hours in daily.
- Consume more alkaline foods, which include vegetables and herbs, and less dairy and meats. The reason is because alkaline foods contain more vitamins and minerals than dairy and meats; therefore, these foods can improve their immune system, making it more likely that they will defeat their cancer.
- If you have been diagnosed with colon cancer, then blueberries are a good fruit to eat. They are good no matter what cancer you have but especially for colon cancer. Consider eating blueberries with some yogurt or perhaps just by themselves. They are a great little snack, and you will definitely enjoy them.
- Stop smoking, it will only make it harder for your body to recover. The same is true for drinking alcoholic beverages. Avoid all pollutants such as household chemicals, paint fumes, and don’t handle any toxic substances. Your immune system has all it can do to help you fight cancer. Any added burden on you immune system must be avoided.
- To find more about Cancer, you can read some great books on the subject, including inspirational books of people who have overcome the disease. Always keep up with current events, the news and discoveries from around the world. It will also do you a lot of good to talk with other people who have survived cancer. These people can be a big inspiration to you as you continue to fight your battle.
How to Help a Friend or Family Member Cope with Cancer
- First, let the affected person know that they have your support. This can be a huge relief for them as they go through their cancer. Spend more time with them, take them out to dinner, or take them out on trips. Otherwise, you can simply go to their house and just hang out there. The more time you can spend with them, the better. People who have been diagnosed with cancer should be alone as little as possible.
- There are different types of cancer, of course, and each of them act differently. In addition, there are different stages of cancer as well. You can find out so much about your specific form of cancer by looking through forums, print articles, speaking with survivors and more.
Help them out by doing some research on their form of cancer. Every single cancer is unique and has different treatment methods. They will feel better knowing that someone else really does care about helping them overcome their cancer.
- Sometimes your friend may need another person to accompany them to appointments, or you can just go with them to be extra support. Perhaps they’re getting treatments, and they need someone to drive them.
- Finally, have them join a support group for cancer patients. Although you can and should provide a lot of support, you can only do much. Also, because these groups have other fellow cancer patients, they will realize that they are not alone in their battle, which can be extremely motivating to them.
Reducing the Risk of Cancer
Most of the things mentioned under ‘How to Cope’ also applies here. You need to exercise & stay healthy, eat good food, and stay positive.
The connection between smoking and cancer has been proven many times. If you are a smoker, you are at risk for developing a cancer of the lungs, throat, mouth or nasal ways. So, if you are a smoker, you need to quit right away.
Vaccination can also help prevent cancer. You need to get a shot against hepatitis B as it can turn into liver cancer. If you are a young woman, you should get a papillomavirus vaccine to reduce your chances of developing a cervix cancer.
Want to Reduce Cancer Risk? You Must Lose Weight…Obesity is on the rise everywhere, but you might not realize how closely some cancers are linked to it. Obesity can put you at a higher risk of cancers that are unique to women, like uterine cancer.
Obesity accounts for about 50,000 cancers a year in the US, and is the single most modifiable risk factor. It is directly linked to uterine cancer, endometrial cancer, and can cause infertility. Obesity can also lead to other conditions like high blood pressure and diabetes.
You should get screened for cancer regularly. Screening is the best way to detect a cancer in its early stages. You should talk to your doctor about different screening options. If you believe you are at risk for a certain type of cancer because of your lifestyle, a pre-existing medical condition or your family’s medical history, make arrangements for regular screenings. Find a good health insurance that will cover the cost of screening.
Good Tips For Skin Cancer Prevention
You don’t have to be under the impression that you should be avoiding the sun. You should be getting sun in moderation. If you notice that you’ve been out in the sun for a while, then it’s time for a break. Hours and hours of exposure is too much. If you like frequent activities out in the sun, then maybe you should put some thought into your schedule and plan so that you don’t get too much exposure.
- Stay in the shade. Although the sun’s rays can still reach you in the shade, it’s the safest place to hang out on a hot summer day.
- Wear movie star sunglasses. Big stylish shades that fully wrap around your face not only look really cool, they will provide your eyes end the skin around them with the best protection.
- Wrap-up in light clothing. Unfortunately, the most popular types of shirts have the lowest amount of sun protection. Whenever possible, wear long-sleeve shirts and full-length pants for complete protection against the sun’s rays.
- Tanning beds are even worse for you, and you should avoid them altogether. One reason for this has already been mentioned, and the other reason is because getting a tan is the only reason for a tanning bed. You can do this naturally, and you don’t need to put yourself at risk for this one thing.
- When you are out in the sun, it’s always a good idea to use sunscreen at all times. Many people only think about this when its summer time and they are going swimming. However, wearing sunscreen is a great idea for all occasions. There are many ways you can accomplish this, including buying a moisturizer and sunscreen combination.
- You should also wear sunglasses so that you can protect your eyes and the skin around your eyes. Your eyes and the skin right by them are sensitive, and you need to do everything you can to protect them.
- If you do get a sunburn, you have to care for it properly. You don’t want to be back out in the sun. You need to use aloe vera lotion to help heal your sunburn and also to soothe it as it heals. You should also make sure you’re keeping track of it as it heals and paying attention to how far the sunburn gets. And don’t peel yourself! Let the sunburn heal naturally and do it’s thing.
Prostate Cancer FAQs
Prostate Cancer FAQs: Know more about this type of cancer and the lifestyle changes that you can make to reduce the risk of getting it.
Where Is this Part Located in the Body?
The prostate is a gland in the male reproductive system, present near the bladder.
What is Its Function?
This gland is responsible for the reproductive functions of the male body.
What is Prostrate Cancer?
It’s a type of cancer that occurs in the prostate gland. Most cases are usually slow growing; however, there have been cases of aggressive prostate cancer as well.
What are Its Symptoms?
Pain & difficulty in urinating, problems during sexual intercourse, or erectile dysfunction are some of the symptoms! Other symptoms can potentially develop during later stages of the disease.
How is It Diagnosed?
For a quick examination, doctors usually insert a gloved hand into the rectum. Because that method is not fool-proof, PSA tests (prostate-specific antigen test) are also conducted, to locate any abnormality.
But then, an elevated PSA doesn’t necessarily mean that you have cancer; it can also be associated with other conditions, such as benign inflammation of the prostate.
Only a biopsy can actually determine whether it’s prostate cancer or not, so the final confirmation is usually done via a biopsy.
How to Prevent Prostate Cancer
After skin cancer, prostate cancer is the most common type of cancer in America, but is comparatively rare in Asian countries, and researchers have partially attributed this to the lifestyle as well as the diet.
Here are some lifestyle changes that you can make to reduce the risk of getting this disease:
- Healthy Eating
Several studies have also validated a link between vitamins and certain types of cancers, hence it is important to get a good overall diet.
A healthy lifestyle means eating the right kind of the food, and in the right quantities, and avoiding the foods that are harmful to your body. It means fried foods are out, because of their trans-fat which results in higher levels of cholesterol.
- Practice Safe Sex
Your sexual life plays a very important role in the prevention of this type of cancer, and so it’s imperative that you maintain a healthy sexual life to avoid contracting the disease.
- Avoid Multiple Sexual Partners
The risk of various STDs as well as that of cancer increases if you have multiple sexual partners. After all, sexual health is very important.
- Lower Consumption of Alcohol
Keeping the alcohol consumption levels in check is important as alcohol affects the bodily functions. It increases dehydration, adds unnecessary calories and lowers the levels of testosterone in the body. This is further consequential in reduced ejaculation, a condition that increases the risk of prostate cancer.
- Medical Help
Consult a doctor for a more professional approach to tackle the issue. Prostate Cancer can often be treated successfully.